DH and I spent some time working in the coop today, working on a project that I hope will make our coop more economical and less time consuming.
When DH first built the coop, almost two years ago, it had thirty-six laying boxes and no roosts.
We added the roosts last year.
Today, we removed some of the laying boxes, as most have been unused due to strange chicken logic that says they must lay in the same three boxes no matter how many are empty. If you have chickens, you understand that logic. It’s just how they are.
So, we tore out over half the boxes, going from 36 to 16. We put up new roosts in place of the removed boxes, with a droppings board beneath.
They seem to approve of the finished product, although there were many complaints lodged during the in-going process.
It is my hope that this change will result in less time spent cleaning, because all Ill really need to do is clean off the roosts and dropping boards. And also it should save us money because I won’t have as many beds to fill, so the wood shavings should go a little further.